This is the recipe off the Quaker pearl Barley box....sans meat.
1/2 cup(s) chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves; minced
- 7 cup(s) water
- 16 ounce(s) no-salt-added tomatoes - undrained, chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) quaker pearl barley
- 1/2 cup(s) sliced celery
- 1/2 cup(s) sliced carrots
- 2 veggie bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon(s) basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 9 ounce(s) frozen mixed vegetables
- In 4-quart saucepan saute onion and garlic until tender
- Add remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover.
- Simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add frozen vegetables; cook 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
The leftovers are thawing for our Halloween night dinner....nice and warm for a cool fall night!