I had never tried steel cut oats until this week. I always buy the Old fashioned slow cooking oats and my kids do like them, so that makes me happy. But I think I've read that steel cut oats are healthier, more of the grain is left in tact, more fiber remains. So, I decided to spend the extra money and try them.
I used this recipe from Cooking Light.
- 1/3 cup steel-cut oats (such as McCann's)
- 2 tablespoons uncooked pearl barley
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Combine oats, barley, and 1 1/4 cups water in a microwave-safe 4-cup bowl. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
2. Uncover bowl, and stir in salt. Microwave, uncovered, at HIGH for 6 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring well after 3 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg. Top with almonds and honey.
What a way to start your Meatless Monday! So easy to just pull it out of the frig in the morning and cook in the mikey. I found it was quite tasty and not mushy or gummy.
Visit Meatless Monday for more ideas to help you go meatless at least once a week!