Monday, October 17, 2011
Meatless Monday! Cheddar Apple Frittata
How on earth have I not ever posted this one? I don't even have a picture because when I made it the other night, I thought for sure it was something I had posted before so surely I'd have a picture. Evidently not.
This is a favorite of mine. From Parenting Magazine.
Cheddar Apple Frittata
* 2 tsp butter
* 1 apple, peeled and thinly sliced
* 4 eggs
* 2 egg whites
* 2 Tbs water
* 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar
* Salt and pepper
* 4 strips precooked bacon (fakin' type! to make it meatless :-)
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Melt butter over medium-high heat in a 10-inch oven-proof skillet (e.g., cast iron). Add apple slices and sauté 1 minute, or until softened.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, and water until frothy. Stir in cheddar, salt, and pepper.
4. Put bacon strips on top of apples. Pour egg mixture into skillet. Cook 2 minutes, until bottom and sides of frittata are set. (Resist the urge to stir!) Carefully transfer skillet to broiler and cook 6 inches from heat, 2 to 3 minutes, or until top is set. Cut into wedges.
Happy Meatless Monday!!