- 1 pound dried black beans
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (I used Veggie broth)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
1. Sort and wash beans; place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
2. Combine beans, broth, and next 5 ingredients (through chile) in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 10 hours. Discard bay leaves. Stir in juice and salt. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each with 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro. Top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Want to go Meatless one night a week? Visit Meatless Monday for ideas!