Can I post a candy recipe just this once for Meatless Monday? I want to share this recipe for Salted Caramels anyway and right now is the perfect time for sharing candy recipes, what with the holidays and all, so I'm breaking the rules and this is my Meatless Monday :-)
I made this batch as a test batch last week. Riiiiiiggggghhhht, a test batch!
Tomorrow I plan on making about 3 more batches as gifts for Christmas. These caramels are super yummy. I used coarse sea salt from Costco and set the grinder for as coarse as it would go. So you get crunchy bites of salt every now and then and it is divine.
Be prepared to stand at your stove for a full hour. This recipe is from the latest edition of Better Homes and Gardens Magazine.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 16-oz. pkg. packed brown sugar (2-1/4 cups)
- 2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 1 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 tsp. flaked sea salt or smoked flaked sea salt
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 tsp. pink peppercorns, crushed * I omitted this entirely*
1. Line an 8x8x2-inch or 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil. Set aside.
2. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, half-and-half, and corn syrup; mix well. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan (see Candy Thermometer, below). Reduce heat to medium. Continue boiling mixture at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently, until the thermometer registers 248 degrees F, firm-ball stage (40 to 50 minutes). Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil.
3. Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Stir in vanilla. Quickly pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool 10 to 12 minutes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. When firm use foil to lift candy out of pan.* Use a buttered knife to cut into 2x1/2-inch size pieces. Wrap each caramel in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Store up to 2 weeks.
*Test Kitchen Tip:For easier slicing, freeze caramel for 10 minutes before cutting.
More Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday