Ahhhhhhhh! Ahhhhhhhhh! I'm screaming here! My blog is listed on MeatlessMonday.com on their bloggers board! It's the first one on the list! Holy Moly! How cool is that? Thank you, MeatlessMonday!
Perhaps too late for your dinner tonight, but consider this recipe for your next meatless night. I think this would be good with perogies, although it would be a CARB filled meal. But, any time I eat perogies, it's carb overload because I like them with fries! But, throw in a nice Jersey 'mater and you're golden!
This is from Southern Living Cookbook:
- 1 c. uncooked brown rice
- 2 T. butter or margarine, divided
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. dried lentils
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 t. ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook rice according to package directions, adding 1 T. butter and 1/2 salt. Set aside.
- Cook lentils according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1 T butter in a large skillet over med heat; add onion, green pepper, and garlic, and cook until tender, stirring often.
- Stir in lentils, tomatoes, and next 4 ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 min, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in brown rice. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and let stand 5 min before serving.
Do you want to make a meatless night for your family? Head on over to MeatlessMonday.com and see why you should!