This is from Better Homes and Gardens March 2012.
- 1/2 pound green, white, and/or purple asparagus, trimmed
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 8 slice white, wheat, or brioche bread
- 8 slice crisp-cooked bacon (just be wakin' with the fakin' bacon to keep this meatless)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place asparagus in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Cover with about 2 cups of boiling water. Let stand for 10 to 12 minutes, until bright green and crisp-tender. Drain. Finely chop three of the asparagus spears; set aside. (I wasn't thrilled with this method. It was still a tad too crisp for me. Next time I'll just steam it as usual)
2. In a small bowl mash avocado with lime juice. Stir in chopped asparagus; set aside.
3. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Break eggs into skillet. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook eggs for 6 minutes, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken. If desired, turn eggs, to fully cook the yolks.
4. Meanwhile, toast the bread. Spread avocado-asparagus on four slices. Lightly sprinkle with salt. Layer bacon, egg, asparagus, and remaining bread.