The good people at Meatless Monday have launched a new campaign called Kids Cook Monday. I figure since I'm trying to post a meatless recipe every Monday, I'll try harder to incorporate my kids into some of them. Today was perfect because we made two recipes; Blueberry Pie and a Toasted Pita Salad. It was funny though, because I only had one kid with me at any given time. While one was outside helping Daddy change brakes on the car, the other was helping me. Then they'd switch out!
Anyway, I really thought this would be a fun salad for my girls to make, because they LOVE chopping cucumbers, I thought they'd have fun ripping up the pita, and it gave them a chance to 'play' with tomatoes (which I hoped would wet their appetite for them).
We had fun with the onion chopper:
Very serious salad tossing:
Shredding the pita:
The side salad that took shape during all of this :-)
This recipe was really tasty. The fresh oregano was really delicious. One of my girls said it smelled "divine". They both enjoyed the pita and the cucumbers, but I can't convince them to like tomatoes.
Here's the recipe from Cooking Light. Also, stop on over to The Kids Cook Monday and see what they're all about!
- 2 (6-inch) pitas, split in half horizontally
- 3 cups chopped tomato (about 4 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped English cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Place pitas on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely; break into small pieces.
3. Combine tomato and next 4 ingredients (through parsley) in a large bowl. Combine lime juice and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour juice mixture over tomato mixture; toss gently. Add pita pieces to bowl; toss gently. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.