Spaghetti with Caramelized Onion and RadicchioIngredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups thinly sliced yellow onion (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound uncooked spaghetti
- 3 1/2 cups thinly sliced radicchio (about 1 head)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 15 minutes or until almost tender, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden (about 20 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add red pepper and garlic. Cook 3 minutes; stir occasionally. Add wine; cook 4 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Add reserved cooking liquid, pasta, radicchio, parsley, and oregano to onion mixture. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper; toss to combine. Top with cheese.